Come be part of the most dynamic and fastest growing union in the Keystone State!
Responsibilities: The Political Organizer collaborates with union member leaders and organizers to engage, educate, and mobilize healthcare workers as part of a movement to secure strong unions, safe staffing, and fair funding in Pennsylvania. A successful Political Organizer is a great team player who can inspire, develop, and align union people to take political action.
Start date: April 1, 2020
Reports to: Officer responsible for political mobilization
Position: Political Organizer
Duties: The Political Organizer performs a wide range of duties which include but is not limited to:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of a union-wide, membership-based political education and action program that is integrated with the rest of the union strategic plan.
- Inform and educate local and chapter leadership/activists regarding legislative and political developments that may affect the union.
- Act as the main staff person to the local-wide COPE committee and oversee the administration of its affairs.
- Assist in building an effective COPE program with maximum membership involvement through COPE checkoff, voluntary contributions, and fundraising events.
- Provide support to representational staff for the recruitment, training, leadership development and coordination of member political activists for political fundraising, electoral campaigns,
- Track and support increased member participation using various database functions;
- Providing assistance in broader communications function, including social media, website and other communications tools and strategies
- Regularly meeting with SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania members and not yet union nurses and healthcare workers to determine legislative and regulatory needs.
- Supporting other membership activities, including sector committee meetings, conferences and events.
- Represent the union in Central Labor Councils, constituency groups, and community organizations as required
- Empower the membership to build effective advocacy relationships with elected officials, community partners, and other stakeholders; and,
- Attending committee meetings, statewide meetings, and member and affiliate member meetings, presenting reports as needed and appropriate.
- Exercising leadership and judgment in strategic campaigns in sensitive political environments.
- Working independently, in a team, and under tight deadlines.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Three or more years of experience coordinating union, legislative, electoral, or community organizing campaigns.
- Demonstrated commitment to trade union principles.
- Excellent written, oral, and large group communications skills.
- Basic understanding of Pennsylvania political and legislative processes.
- Ability to plan and execute small to large-scale events with close attention to detail.
- Desire and willingness to work as part of a team and across departments within the union.
- Ability to inspire confidence, and work as a member of leadership teams.
- Strong multi-tasking capacity.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to make effective use of resources available to the union.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to drive, travel and work long hours and weekends, as needed.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to motivate, lead, build strong working relationships and hold others accountable.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to creating a positive work environment that encourages personal responsibility, initiative, and innovation.
- Strong sense of professionalism and integrity.
- Proven ability to work with diverse group of people, from union members to union staff and leaders to elected officials to other community and issue stakeholders.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Fluency in a second language is desirable.
About us: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania unites 45,000 nurses and healthcare workers across the continuum of care. We are the nurses, professional and technical employees, direct care and service workers who work in Pennsylvania’s hospitals, nursing homes, home and community based services, and state health facilities. Together, we work to unite all nurses and healthcare workers, organize at work and in the community, drive public policy and legislation, and build a broad, strong movement for good jobs, quality care, and healthy communities across Pennsylvania.
Compensation: Competitive salary package, benefit package includes fully paid health insurance, defined-benefit pension, optional 401(k), etc.
Location: Pennsylvania (various locations)
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Please include the words POLITICAL ORGANIZER in the title of your email.
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.