The Campaign Communications Specialist develops effective campaign strategies, messages and communications tools in support of health care workers’ organizing and issue advocacy campaigns to support our work with hospitals, nursing home and home care workers.
Description of the Union:
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is the fastest growing, most dynamic organization uniting 45,000 hospital, nursing home and home healthcare workers from all areas of the state’s healthcare industry. We are the nurses, caregivers, dietary workers, lab technicians and housekeepers who work in Pennsylvania’s nursing homes, hospitals, home healthcare, state health facilities and auxiliary health care services.
Together, we advocate to protect patient care and expand access to quality healthcare for all. We fight to improve our working conditions and make sure that the healthcare industry creates better, more family sustaining jobs. We organize in our communities for racial equality and social justice. We lift each other up and create pathways for ordinary nurses and healthcare workers to become extraordinary leaders for change.
We are part of SEIU, the largest union in the country and a leader of the Fight for $15 and a Union; together we are taking on corporate power and helping to build a wider movement for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Campaign Communications Specialist performs a wide range of duties, collaborating with healthcare workers, union officers, campaign leaders, organizers and other staff to develop and implement effective strategies to support workers who desire to form a union at their workplace or in their field as well as win campaigns that raise living standards for all Pennsylvanians. In a typical campaign, the Campaign Communications Specialist will:
- Coordinates with colleagues to frame and craft campaign messages that will resonate with different audiences.
- Implements strategy and outreach to generate positive media coverage of the union’s members, goals and campaigns.
- Plans and coordinates media events including training and preparing workers to be effective spokespersons.
- Produces worksite and community leaflets, newsletters, brochures, as well as creating content for email, website and social media platforms.
- Uses digital tools to engage a variety of audiences to advance campaign goals.
- Performs other duties as required to support the work of the union.
- Two to three years’ experience in communications or digital organizing.
- A demonstrated passion for social and economic justice.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency in graphic design. Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Familiarity with managing Facebook and Twitter; experience with other digital tools and social media networks
- Ability to take creative direction, juggle multiple simultaneous projects and effectively manage competing priorities.
- Experience with photography and creating or editing videos is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is preferred but not required.
Work is generally performed in an office setting with periodic attendance at union rallies and events required. Long and extended hours and travel in state may be required.
Competitive salary package and benefits including defined benefit pension (with contributions beginning after six months employment), optional 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Based in Pennsylvania
To Apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, writing sample and design sample (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org