About SEIU HCPA
SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is the PA’s largest organization of healthcare workers fighting for economic, social, and racial justice. Formerly 1199P, we believe in elevating the strength and leadership of working class people in a labor movement that is unapologetically anti-racist and progressive. We unite 25,000 nurses, caregivers, and service workers across the state, from home care in Philly to nursing homes in Pittsburgh to hospitals across rural PA. Together, our members have led the Fight for $15 and a union, elected progressive champions in a purple state, and worked tirelessly to win and defend the Affordable Care Act and lead the struggle for universal affordable health care for all.
About the Role
The digital organizer is responsible for developing and implementing digital organizing strategies to build an online community of workers taking action to win, and move workers into offline action in our campaigns — in particular, working with Nurses of Pennsylvania in their campaign for safe staffing and quality patient care.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with a campaign team to develop and implement digital strategies and tactics to move workers into online and offline action within a broader campaign.
- Use social media and email to build and grow online communities of workers and move them into taking online action (especially through Facebook).
- Use digital tools such as SMS, Hustle, and virtual meetings to move workers from online to offline action, and identify workers for field organizers to follow up with.
- Record and track data through online action, evaluate and use it to learn and inform future online organizing in this campaign and across the union.
Skills, Qualifications & Attributes
- Experience as a digital organizer in the labor or progressive movement. You know what works in digital organizing and can point to examples.
- Expert in using digital tools — including social media (especially Facebook), email, and virtual meeting (Hangout, Maestro, etc) — and willing to learn new ones.
- Able to work as part of a team, but also independently, with a strong sense of accountability to shared goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. You can write persuasively and boil down complex ideas into a single sentence.
- Highly motivated. Willingness to work under pressure, long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends as necessary, and to travel as needed.
- A strong commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a desire to win.
Location & Travel: Flexible (PA preferred, but can be remote from anywhere in the US with a willingness to travel to PA for staff meetings and key in-person events). Requires a valid driver’s license.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits package.
Equal Opportunity: Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to Sharmika Fargen at firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘Digital Organizer’ in the title of your email.