Summary: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is looking for a Member Resource Center (MRC) Director to lead our Pittsburgh-based MRC team and statewide Advocacy staff.
Description of the Union: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is the fastest growing, most dynamic organization uniting 45,000 hospital, nursing home and home health care workers from all areas of the health care industry. We are the nurses, caregivers, dietary workers, lab technicians and housekeepers who work in Pennsylvania’s nursing homes, hospitals, home health care, state health facilities and auxiliary health care services.
Together, we advocate to protect patient care and expand access to quality health care for all. We fight to improve our working conditions and make sure that the healthcare industry creates more good, family sustaining jobs. We organize in our communities for racial equality and social justice. We lift each other up and create pathways for ordinary nurses and healthcare workers to become extraordinary leaders for change.
We are part of SEIU, the largest union in the country and a leader of the Fight for $15 and a Union; together we are taking on corporate power and helping to build a wider movement for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice.
Duties and Responsibilities: The MRC Director leads and supervises work in our centralized contract defense and grievance resolution system. The Director supervises the staff of MRC Representatives in the Pittsburgh call center and the staff of Advocates who conduct arbitrations and resolve other high level or complex grievance cases. The Director designs and implements the union program of representation, training, and advocacy on behalf of members and their delegate leaders, including coaching and developing leadership skills, investigating and processing contract grievances, participating in grievance meetings by telephone, negotiating grievance settlements where appropriate in consultation with affected members and delegates, coordination with Internal Organizers and other staff in the field in regard to issues of strategic importance and the identification of potential leaders and issues for them to organize the members around to engage in collective action. The Director is responsible for ensuring the highest possible quality advice, service and a consistently positive union experience for members. In addition, the Director gathers, analyzes, and presents union leaders with important data from members, such as membership and PAC status, and increase membership participation in union activities and programs.
As required by operational needs, the Director will maintain a working caseload to assist the MRC Representatives.
Qualifications: The MRC Director must have the ability and skill to assist the union in meeting its goal of representing and organizing workers successfully. Selection criteria include:
- Supervisory or team leadership skills of performance coaching, briefing and debriefing, and consistent follow up for accountability
- Demonstrated understanding of the organizing model and how it can be used to empower members and ensure superior outcomes in the workplace.
- Knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining issues and human resource management practices.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply labor law and employment-related policies, practices and procedures.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills appropriate to providing a quality member experience including the ability to establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sound organizational skills to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic, fast paced and changing environment, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills as demonstrated by the ability to assess information and evidence and decide on appropriate course of action
- Ability to assess overall performance and innovate through improved systems design and use of technology to enhance the experience and satisfaction of members
- Excellent writing skills for numerous forms of communications including business letters and other representational correspondence
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, databases and the Internet
Training / Education / Experience: A successful candidate will possess the relevant education and experience in the labor movement with a special emphasis on addressing member concerns and resolving workplace grievances.
Travel: All positions require a car and willingness to travel occasionally within Pennsylvania. SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania provides mileage reimbursement at the Federal rate and lodging when working away from home.
Compensation: Competitive salary package and benefit including defined benefit pension, optional 401K type plan, and fully paid health insurance
Equal Opportunity: SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, LGBT people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter explaining your interest to email@example.com (please include the words MRC Director in the subject line of your email)