HARRISBURG — Following Pennsylvania Auditor General Eugene DePasquale’s recently released audit of the Corbett Administration’s inept handling of the Public Partnerships, LLC (PPL) contract, Pennsylvania home care attendants, consumers and representatives of various Centers for Independent Living will host a media call to describe the true impact of Corbett’s decision to outsource the fiscal management system for tens of thousands of home care workers.
The Corbett Administration’s lack of oversight and preparation for the transition to PPL in January of 2013 resulted in untold and unnecessary financial and emotional hardship for tens of thousands of home care attendants and their consumers. In one extreme example, thousands of home care attendants failed to receive a paycheck for months at a time despite PPL receiving an $18 million cash advance. Additionally, Auditor General DePasquale confirmed in a morning press conference that certain individuals who needed care were unable to access it.
Through accounting real-life experiences, call participants will illustrate the consequences that the outsourcing has had on their lives and demonstrate yet another example of the Corbett Administration’s pattern of restricting Pennsylvanians’ access to healthcare services.
Participants on the call include:
- Neal Bisno – President of SEIU Healthcare Pennsylvania and Chair of the United Home Care Workers of Pennsylvania (an AFSCME-SEIU partnership)
- Patricia Schamm – Home Care Attendant, Williamsport
- Angela Owens – Home Care Attendant, Philadelphia
- Leslie Haber – Executive Director, United Home Care Workers of Pennsylvania
- German Parodi – Chair, Consumer Workforce Council, Philadelphia
- Thomas Earle – CEO Liberty Resources Inc., Philadelphia
- Shona Eakin – Executive Director, Voices for Independence, Erie
- Kathleen Kleinmann – Executive Director, TRIPIL CIL, Washington
- Dan Stroup – Executive Director Consumer Workforce Council, Harrisburg
What: MEDIA CALL with home care attendants from United Home Care Workers of Pennsylvania, members from the Consumer Workforce Council and representatives from various Centers for Independent Living and other disability rights groups
When: Thursday, November 14th / 3:00 PM
**** TO JOIN THE MEDIA CALL, dial 1.800.574.1264.****